Readit1st

I'm not saying I'm a 'see it before you read it' kinda guy, I'll let you be the judge. But I have yet to watch any of the Harry Potter movies because I was waiting to have read them all before I see any of the movies.  Also I've finished 'The Lincoln Lawyer' as you may know already if you follow my vlog and am currently hanging out for a couple of friends to finish reading before we buy the movie and find the biggest, HDTV we can and watch it. As I said; I'll let you judge.

Hank Green is one half of the Vlogbrothers, a hugely popular youtube community commonly referred to as Nerdfighters.

Just recently Hank shared in his vlog the ‘Readit1st’ pledge.

As he mentions many successful movies are adaptations of novels. With millions more viewing compared to those reading something needs to happen.

With ‘reading for pleasure’ in the US, and I would argue here in New Zealand too, is being limited to one or two novels a year some would argue that ‘the joy of reading’ is dying out.

The ‘Readit1st’ is a simple sign up to a newsletter and the opportunity share your commitment my sharing a badge, as in figure 1, on your blog or website.
The newsletter available to pledgers is written by John Green and feature the upcoming movies that are based on novels with the urge to ‘Readit1st’.

One of the featured articles reads:

The Help

In theaters now you’ll find The Help,  an adaptation of Katherine Stockett’s first novel, which has now sold more than five million copies in the U.S. (…he wrote, betraying no trace of jealousy). Even so, the movie has been seen by more than twice that many people in just a few weeks.

Set in 1960s Jackson, Mississippi, Stockett’s novel has three different narrators—two African American maids and one white woman. If you’re one of the 6.91 billion people who haven’t read it, readit1st!

Useful links:



No comments: