All these shiny and new graduates entering the teaching profession. How long will it be before the phrase “you don’t understand cos you’ve not got your own kids” or “Wait til you have your own kids, it’ll make you a better teacher”.
Not so bad it they are from frustrated parents or a hacked grandmother whose left holding ‘the bag’. But if they are heard from the lips of your senior teacher it can be soul destroying. All of these new grads not just the ones mentioned in the article, with dreams of impacting a generation. Well, let’s wish them well. More over let’s wish them a supportive senior teacher and motivated staff.
Helpful hints for new teachers:
- Focus on your kids- They are your responsibility.
- Prep your room- The enviroment is central to the tone of a classroom.
- Get the routines running- If the kids know what they're doing when they'll be more settled.
- Succeed at Reading and Maths - everything else is forgiveable.
- Set the tone from the get go- You can always lighten up later but you start too friendly you'll never claw it back.