NCEA out Cambridge in....

The discussion of whose exam system is better is raising its ugly head again. How are parents to decide? How do they know which is best for their kid and their future. 

My parents talked of one going to tech college and the other off ‘The Grammar’. Are we to return to that? Is that really in the best interests of our children.
Regardless of the discussion on NewstalkZB NCEA still remains relatively unproven compared to the alternatives.  And with Auckland Grammar jumping ship then there is potential for an avalanche of schools. Should there be such an avalanche? So long as the driving force is parental choice I don’t see why not.
TVNZ Poll Cambridge Exams outstrips NCEA 2:1
Again it comes down to the old mantra that Parents need to be active in their child’s education. There is no one who knows their kid better. Parents need to get themselves informed. Work out how their kid learns and then make the best decision possible.
Useful Link:

1 comment:

Kirstin Anderson-McGhie (Keamac) said...

As the mother of a teen, a well as being a teacher - plus just my own opinion/experience...
I think there should be a choice. It shouldn't be all or nothing. As a teen girl I was equally good with exams or internal assessment so either/or would work for me. My son has already demonstrated that he personally does much better with internal assessment then he did with exams - in fact his exam marks did not reflect his achievement through out the year. Every kid is different. I think the way it is at the moment where schools can choose to offer the Cambridge exams and their students can CHOOSE to take them, whilst still having NCEA available is ok. Just my 2 cents based on what works for MY kid.