Holiday activity plans for the kids


School holidays are just around the corner for us and I've been freaking out as I've got to study (Uni exams in a few weeks and I'm way behind as usual). Generally I have no plan and we have a few playdates but generally it's bedlam & chaos & I get to the end & think "how could I have done that better?" and then forget about it for another couple of months.

This holidays for some reason I've decided to plan ahead. I am a mean mummy in that every morning of the school hols I expect my kids to write a story, with a picture. Mostly this is because I love reading the kids stories, but also because I love to see their progress from term to term and additionally I want to keep them busy.

I've decided that after they've written their daily story, they can choose from one activity from my newly formed "lucky dip bag" of things that we'll do together, so they have something to look forward to & I have something that I need to do with them before I hide back in my corner with my books & tell them to "go play" & "be good" & "stop fighting."

I've attached my ideas to the right there. I've printed each column in a different colour, so on a rainy day someone can choose a red piece of paper & when Dad's home they can choose a blue piece or on special days I can raid the bag first & pull out all the orange pieces except 1 before the kids get to it.

Anyway, the plan is in place. Will it still turn to bedlam & chaos? More than likely, but hopefully it will be better than other times. When it all turns to rubbish and you want a giggle, then check out the crappy pictures blog
Contributed by RosieO



No comments: